Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cover Your Face


When you think about it, prayer is pretty amazing.

To get some idea as to just how amazing it is, read something like Isaiah 40:

" Who else has held the oceans in his hand? Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers? Who else knows the weight of the earth or has weighed the mountains and hills on a scale? Who is able to advise the Spirit of the Lord? Who knows enough to give him advice or teach him?" (Isaiah 40:12-13 NLT)

After reading it, think about this: He is God, of whom all creation declares his glory. Yet He is so compassionate, so loving and so kind that he hears even the smallest prayer uttered in faith by a little child.

Sometimes when I walk into my office in the morning, I am overwhelmed by the need to spend some time in prayer. Yesterday was just such a morning. The urge hit me to pray. And so I did. Later, when I journaled, the words of my prayer crept into that journal. I decided to give you a rare peek into my journal and share it with you in this blog:

"Lord, I prayed covering my face from you this morning.
I prayed covering my face because your holiness is too great for me.
I prayed covering my face because my eyes cannot withstand your brightness.
I prayed covering my face because I needed to ask you for strength.
I prayed covering my face because I needed to ask you for wisdom.
I prayed covering my face because I needed to ask you for courage.
I prayed covering my face because your mercy is too brilliant for me.
I prayed covering my face because your grace is too overwhelming for me.
I prayed covering my face because I feel so unworthy in your presence.
I prayed covering my face because your presence is too magnificent for me to behold.

I prayed covering my face.

And now,...when I remove my hands from my face, let me be a little closer, a little wiser, a little stronger and a little bit more like you."

This was the prayer, on that Tuesday morning, from the heart and mind of Victor.

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen." (2 Peter 3:18 NKJV)